đź“… February 8: Psalm 70, 71 - Finding Strength and Refuge in God

:date: February 8: Psalm 70, 71 - Finding Strength and Refuge in God

:earth_africa: Introduction: The Psalms of David dig deep into the human heart’s cries for help, struggles, and faith in God’s protection. Let us explore Psalm 70 and 71—two heartfelt prayers that inspire believers to seek refuge in God amidst life’s trials.

:pray: Psalm 70: Cry for Help
David urgently seeks God’s rescue, reaffirming his faith in God.
:scroll: Key Verse: Psalm 70:5 - “But I am poor and needy; Make haste to me, O God! You are my help and my deliverer; O LORD, do not delay.”

:pray: Psalm 71: Declaration of Trust
David boldly proclaims his trust in God throughout his lifetime, from youth to old age.
:scroll: Key Verse: Psalm 71:3 - “Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress.”

:sparkles: Key Themes and Reflections

1. God as a Refuge: These Psalms remind us of God as our enduring refuge—our rock and fortress in times of need.

2. A Plea for Deliverance: The Psalms mirror our own cries for help when we feel weak and desperate. They affirm the righteousness in expressing our vulnerabilities before God.

:bulb: Today’s Application
In our fast-paced world, these Psalms remind us to slow down and appreciate God’s presence as our refuge. May we express our needs, trust Him, and celebrate His goodness regardless of our circumstances.

:mag: Hidden Gem
Did you know that Psalm 71 does not have a superscription, which makes it more relatable as it can be a prayer for any believer?

:thought_balloon: Reflective Q&A

:question: How can we relate to the cry for help in Psalm 70?
A: We’ve all felt desperate and called for help. Remember, it’s okay to express this to God. He invites us into honest communication.

:question: What does it mean for God to be our refuge?
A: God is our safe place, our Shelter in every storm—be it physical, emotional, or spiritual. We can always run to Him for protection and comfort.

:question: How does Psalm 71’s mention of God’s faithfulness from youth to old age resonate with us?
A: It underlines the enduring nature of God’s support throughout our lifetime—during our youth’s vigor and our old age’s wisdom. He never forsakes us.

:speech_balloon: Join the Discussion
Share a time when you’ve experienced God as your refuge. Discuss how these Psalms have encouraged you in your own faith journey.

:date: See You Tomorrow in Leviticus 1-5!
Join us as we explore sacrificial systems that help us understand Jesus’ ultimate sacrifice on the cross.

As we end today, we’re reminded that God is almighty yet personal, eager to be our Refuge and Deliverer in every season of life. Stay blessed!

Psalms 70,71
A desperate plea for help is expressed in Psalm 70; whilst its companion psalm provides the answer: the conviction of the Psalmist that Yahweh will overshadow his case. Psalm 70 is a song of remembrance, a repetition of Psalm 40:13-17, with slight variations. It was probably adapted for general use in the offering of incense, and became a psalm for recollection. The utterances of a faith which has proved the goodness of Yahweh throughout a lifetime of bitter trials without losing confidence. David recalls his sin and the sorrows that accompanied his later years. Like the apostle Paul (2Timothy), David takes a retrospect view of Yahweh’s dealings with him, from the beginning of his life, and expresses himself in words which are an anticipation of those in which the apostle declared his hope in Christ (2Tim. 1:12). • So Psalm 70 sets out • [1] A Plea for Help in time of Danger: vv. 1-5. The superscription shows it to be a “psalm of remembrance,” thus one appropriate in respect to the Memorial Table of our Lord. • Psalm 71 has a superscription in the Septuagint version “By David (a psalm sung by) the sons of Jonadab and the first that were taken captive.” But who was this Jonadab, and what was the captivity? Psa. 71 speaks of the confession of faith in old age. It reveals: [1] • The power of faith: vv. 1-13, revealed in [a] The basis of the appeal: vv. 5-8. [b] A plea for help in weakness: vv. 9-13. • [2] The praise of faith: vv. 14-24. What a wonderful conclusion to the psalm as the psalmist expresses the fulness of the memorial Bread and Wine — the bread, speaking of the Flesh, and the wine of the Spirit. It is natural and appropriate that David’s mind in old age should range over the experiences of the past, and recall those circumstances for the benefit of his spiritual children of every age and generation. — Logos.