📅 February 2: Exodus 7, 8 - God's Power Revealed Through Plagues

Introduction: Today, we traverse the pages of Exodus 7 and 8, witnessing God demonstrating His mighty power as He embarks on a mission to liberate His chosen people from Egyptian bondage.

:snake: Exodus 7: The face-off with Pharaoh
This chapter reveals God’s supreme power and devolution of that power to Moses. The clashing of the staffs and Aaron’s rod turning into a snake trumps the illusory magic of Pharaoh’s sorcerers, establishing a clear divine authority.
:scroll: Key Verse: Exodus 7:5 - "And the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD when I stretch out my hand against Egypt and bring the Israelites out of it.”

:frog: Exodus 8: A Series of Plagues
In response to Pharaoh’s obduracy, God sends multiple plagues — frogs, gnats, and flies — each one more irritating and disastrous than the previous one, underscoring His control over all aspects of creation.
:scroll: Key Verse: Exodus 8:10 - "Then he said, "Tomorrow. "He said, "Be it as you say, so that you may know that there is no one like the LORD our God.”

:sparkles: Key Themes and Reflections

1. God’s Supernatural Power: Throughout these chapters, God demonstrates His mastery over creation, affirming His position as the one true deity.
  2. Human Arrogance & Divine Justice: These incidents highlight how human stubbornness and arrogance, as embodied by Pharaoh, often lead to self-destruction, whereas God stands as a pillar of justice.

:bulb: Today’s Application
These chapters remind us of the power of God in the face of human arrogance. As followers of Christ, we must adhere to humility and trust in God’s supreme authority over all challenges.

:mag: Hidden Gem
Did you know Aaron’s rod was later kept in the Ark of the Covenant as a symbol of his priestly authority?

:thought_balloon: Reflective Q&A:
*:question:What symbolism can be observed in the plagues that God sends to Egypt?
A: The plagues demonstrate God’s dominion over nature and were specific judgments against the false gods of Egypt.
*:question:Why were the Israelites spared from the plagues?
A: This was a testament to God’s protection and favor towards His chosen people.
*:question:How can we apply the lessons from Pharaoh’s arrogance to our life?
A: These teachings remind us to remain humble and obedient to God’s will, rather than letting our pride lead us astray.

:speech_balloon: Join the Discussion!
Share your thoughts, insights and the ways you’ve personally related to these chapters.

:date: See You Tomorrow in Exodus 9-10 : We will delve deeper into God’s plan for the liberation of His people and reflect on the dire consequences of Pharaoh’s continued defiance.

Let’s carry forth the understanding of God’s immense power and authority and reflect on our role as His humble servants. Stay blessed!

Exodus 7,8
Moses is encouraged in the work he has to do in the presence of the Pharaoh, and no doubt comforted that he had Aaron as his mouthpiece. Ch. 7 reveals: [1] Moses and Aaron commissioned by God: vv. 1-9. It shows that Moses would be as a God and Aaron a Prophet for Yahweh said “I know he can speak well” (ch. 4:14). The Septuagint in v. 2 says: “and thou shall say to him all things that I charge thee.” [2] Moses’ contest with the magicians: vv. 10-13. Moses is further told that Yahweh would manifest Himself in the land of Egypt. This would be done, not only of words, but the miraculous bringing forth of the ten plagues which were to follow the incidents in vv. 10-13. The word ‘Serpent’ is from the Heb ‘tanniyn’ or crocodile, the national symbol of Egypt and which was meant as an introduction of Moses and Aaron as the messengers of Yahweh, the God of Israel. Because Pharaoh’s sorcerers seemingly had almost matched the Miracle from Yahweh, he was then shown the POWER of Yahweh as Aaron’s rod swallowed up theirs. [3] The first plague: water into blood: vv. 14-21. The River Nile, a god to Egypt, was turned to blood, fish died, the river stank, and this was extended to the tributaries, streams, pools, and ponds. [4] The Miracle Imitated and Hearts Hardened: vv. 22-25. The magicians did the same as did Moses and Aaron (Ex. 7:22), imitating the true power of Yahweh. Little or no pure water could be got, and therefore their imitation must have been on a small scale, probably on some water that had been drawn before the uplifting of the wonder-working rod of Aaron. Ch. 8 continues: [1] The second plague: Frogs multiply: vv. 1-6. The frogs abounded; yet, seemingly using the original language, the magicians ‘imitated’ this as well, perhaps by illusion. [2] The miracle imitated, but Pharaoh seeks Moses’ intervention: vv. 7-8. [3] Pharaoh and Moses negotiate: vv. 9-11. Pharaoh pleaded with Moses to take the plague away, as his magicians couldn’t do it! [4] Respite: Heart hardened: vv. 12-15. [5] Third plague: Dust into lice: vv. 16-17. There is a distinct change of events now, in that no warning was given to Pharaoh of the advent of the miracle. Lice appears; “lice in man and in beast… and the magicians could not do it!” The reason is revealed in verse 19. The magicians said “This is the finger of God,” realising that God Manifestation was in all this work. [6] Magicians thwarted: vv. 18-19. [7] Fourth plague: Flies, but Goshen immune: vv. 20-24. The fourth plague of ‘swarms of flies’ brought further distress and disease upon the community. Yahweh says that He will separate His people in the part of the land known as Goshen (signifying, “Drawing Near”), to draw Pharaoh’s attention to His power in being able to make this distinction in the area. In other places the word for ‘division’ (v. 23) is translated ‘redemption.’ See Ps. 111:9, “He sent redemption unto His people:” And in Isa. 50:2-3, “Wherefore, when I came, was there no man? when I called, was there none to answer? Is My hand shortened at all, that it cannot redeem? Or have I no power to deliver? behold, at My rebuke I dry up the sea, I make the rivers a wilderness: their fish stinketh, because there is no water, and dieth for thirst. I clothe the heavens with blackness, and I make sackcloth their covering.” But what did Moses see in all of this; did it help or hinder? Heb 11:27 explains: “By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible.” Do we share his faith? So the chapter concludes: [8] Pharaoh stubbornly refuses to honour his promise: vv. 25-32. How like the flesh! The whole reading reveals the challenge between faith and flesh, a challenge soon again to be seen and finally determined. — Logos